Our goal is for everyone to honor your wishes promptly, privately, and without conflict. To attain this goal, they must appreciate that your Advance Care Planning efforts were DILIGENT. That is why we ask you to carefully consider each condition twice before you make a judgment or decision—when you were COMPETENT (had capacity to make informed decisions), and to prove your decisions were CONSISTENT over time (by repeating the sorting of cards process after a month or so).
Making diligent decisions by completing a Natural Dying—Living Will is necessary, but may not be sufficient. You also need the two extra steps this website describes: the “Ironclad Strategy” and the MyLastWishes.org Program. Then, clinicians and others can learn your wishes when it is necessary to make critical treatment decisions. Not ONE STEP, but THREE.
Why does Caring Advocates offer only a Living Will Planning Package? Life is complicated; dying is the last chapter of our life; dying is also complicated. Goals for complicated matters do NOT lend themselves to simple solutions.
The stakes are high: Caring Advocates Living Will Planning Package strives…
- To prevent unnecessary and tragic premature dying;
- To avoid families being torn apart by conflicts even though each person had only the best intention to fulfill their version of what the patient wanted;
- To prevent criminal prosecution and prolonged guilt of loving “mercy killers;” and most of all,
- To provide a way for patients to avoid prolonged dying with increased pain and suffering by being forced to continue treatment that no longer can provide them benefit.
Why does Caring Advocates not sample out their Living Will? The answer is similar to why Caring Advocates does not provide a boiler-plate form that can simply be completed by checking appropriate boxes. Members of Caring Advocates are strongly advised to review the “decision aid” Advance Care Planning tool—a deck of illustrated cards—twice. The reason is not just to be diligent. You must review all the conditions to decide if you want to consider one condition along with others for Natural Dying.
To convince your future physician (whom you may not currently know) and concerned others to comply with your wishes, this Natural Dying—Living Will and all your other forms and videos must be in front of them when they need to make treatment decisions… promptly and privately (without conflict).
Of course, Living Wills are available from the internet and elsewhere for $5, for $1, or free, and most are fast and easy to complete. But when you select an Living Will Planning Package to control how long and how much you will suffer before you die, ask these critical questions:
- Will it be effective if I have end-of-life unbearable pain and suffering?
- Will it be effective if I reach the advanced stage of dementia?
- Will it prevent conflicts among my family members or between my family and health care professionals?
- Is it safe so my physician will not misinterpret my wishes and let me die when I still want to live?
If the answers to these questions are important to you, consider the Caring Advocates Living Will Planning Package described below. While the basic cost is $295, please keep these points in mind:
- We offer a discount for two people from the same household (described below).
- The total cost will be less if you record some interviews with your own physician or proxy/agent.
- Caring Advocates is a mission oriented, non-profit organization and we will try to adjust the cost of our services to accommodate those whose funds are limited; however we depend on (tax-deductible) donations to accomplish this goal.