Introduction to Strategic Advance CARE Planning
For Dementia & All Terminal Illnesses–Effective Strategic Advance Care Planning or Now Care Planning. 5:45 min. LinkA brief introduction to two innovative ways that make it possible to control the last chapter of life to attain the goal of a timely and peaceful transition for patients living with Advanced Dementia and/or severe terminal suffering.
- Now Care Planning-BRIEF INTRO-Advanced Dementia, suffering-timely, peaceful dying if NO Living Will. Link 5 min. June 2017.
This “Brief Intro” explains the clinical need, the goal, and the benefits of Now Care Planning for family members and for patients who face the challenges of Advanced Dementia or severe terminal suffering. Watch this video to decide if your situation is similar to the challenges for which Now Care Planning was designed. If so, view the full version of the video and/or contact Dr. Terman or another Advance Care Planning counselor to discuss your options.
- Now Care Planning-for Advanced Dementia, severe suffering-timely, peaceful dying if NO Living Will. Link 26:13 min, FULL VERSION. June, 2017
This full video debunks three common myths about Advance Care Planning and includes a poignant story about a relevant mercy killing/suicide, quotes from health care professionals that exemplify why some oppose Natural Dying, and the sad saga of a woman whose five-year dying ordeal illustrates why Advanced Dementia can be a most cruel, most burdensome, and horribly long way to die.
- Now Care Planning-Abridged-for Advanced Dementia, suffering-timely, peaceful dying if NO Living Will. Link 13:06 min. June, 2017.
For viewers who feel 26 minutes is too long and 5 minutes is too short, the abridged version of this video describes some challenges and provides some glimpses about how Now Care Planning works, and viewing it may suffice to decide whether or not to contact an Advance Care Planning counselor.
- An Ironclad Strategy for Advanced Alzheimer's Dementia and Unbearable End-of-Life Pain. 7 min. Link
(The YouTube title is Your Ironclad Strategy. Sort cards / Consult Physician, Record Videos & Empower proxy / Store online.)
This video highlights the effective components of the strategies that Caring Advocates has been using for several years.
- Living with Advanced Dementia—What is it really like? Feb 4, 2017 13:50 min. Link
Excerpts from several videos that poignantly illustrate why Advanced Dementia is such a cruel, burdensome and potentially long disease. Examples in this video make intense efforts to complete Advance or NOW Care Planning reasonable.
- Why Dr. Terman dedicates his psychiatric/bioethics career to Plan Now Die Later to Live Longer. 6:30 min. Link
On this video, Dr. Terman openly and frankly reveals the basis for his motivation to make this area, his life’s mission.
- Training Professionals on Counseling for Advance Care Planning for any disease, including dementia. 2:50 min. Link
A very brief overview of the three-stage program that trains healthcare providers on how to provide Strategic Advance Care Planning and Now Care Planning to patients who need such counseling.
- How Dr Terman practices psychiatric psychotherapy May 16, 2017. 3:30 min. Link
Dr. Terman explains his passion to help both younger and older adults with the challenges of life transitions. For example, this short video provides a glimpse on how he uniquely combines medications and innovative psychotherapies.
- Health care professionals can help patients avoid prolonged suffering & dying. 58 min. Link
Q&A. How Professionals Help Avoid Advanced Dementia. 6:47 min. Link
A lively, interactive presentation to members of an end-of-life coalition to encourage its members to consider training to provide counseling for Strategic Advance Care Planning, which includes papable details about examples of some strategies.
- Making Hard End of Life Decisions for Your Loved One. 11:30 min. Link
Some nuts and bolts on how to use My Way Cards to make difficult end-of-life decisions for a patient who cannot make decisions him or herself.
Note: Several dozen additional videos are available a www.YouTube.com/DrTerman. Call or email to request our most current “List of Resources.”